My concerns were not addressed. Is there anything I can do?

If you have discussed your concerns with a member of staff, they have a duty to try to address these.

In some cases, these concerns are not something the staff can help with - but even then, they should try to direct you to somebody who can help, or at least listen to you with attention.

If they did not do any of this or you are not happy with how they responded, you have the right to complain and to have your complaint dealt with.

In the first instance, you should go back to the organisation concerned. This could be a hospital, hospice or care home. By law, they must have a complaints procedure, so you could ask to see this.

If you do not feel that the concerns were addressed, there are other ways of accessing support and help. The diagram below shares possible ways you can do this (click on the image to open it in a larger size).
Follow this diagram if your concerns have not been addressed

Useful numbers

Local Government Ombudsman (England): 0300 061 0614
Office of the Northern Ireland Public Services Ombudsman: 0800 343424
Scottish Public Services Ombudsman: 0800 377 7330
Public Services Ombudsman for Wales: 0300 790 0203

What does hospice care mean to you?

Help us support hospice care by donating
Donate by phone
Donate online
Donate by post

© Copyright Hospice UK 2021 - all rights reserved

Company limited by guarantee. Registered in England and Wales No. 2751549. Charity registered in England and Wales No. 1014851, and in Scotland No. SC041112.

VAT No 731 304476.

National Voices